About The Youth Council
The Youth Council is a subcommittee of the Board
and is responsible for the oversight of Workforce Investment
Act Youth services in the region. The Youth Council is an all
volunteer subcommittee and currently has over fifty members
that represent both public and private organizations that provide
services to young people in our region.
The duties of the Youth Council include:
- Developing the portions of the local plan relating
to eligible youth, as determined by the chairperson of the local
- Recommending to the local Board eligible providers
of youth activities to be considered for grants or contracts
on a competitive basis.
- Conducting oversight with respect to eligible
providers of youth activities.
- Coordinating youth activities that are authorized
by the Act.
- Other duties determined to be appropriate by
the chairperson of the local Board.
In addition to these mandated requirements of the
Workforce Investment Act our local Board through the Youth Council
has several grants that provide the following:
- Department of Education School to Career
Connecting Activities - 844 students participated in the School to Career Program in 2014. Local Businesses provided work and learning opportunities and helped students connect academics to work place requirements and measured students gain by using the Massachusetts Work Based Learning Plan.
- Construction Career Days - 125
students annually attend this event at the Hopkinton Training
Center to learn about the wide variety of occupations in the
- Summer Employment - 285 youth will have summer work and learning opportunities in 2014. The Youth Council and Employment Links will offer 125 subsidized summer jobs for eligible youth in Leominster and Fitchburg through the States Youth Works program. The Workforce Board also convenes a Youth Employment Collaborative that has raised private sector funding for an additional 160 youth employment opportunities. The Montachusett Opportunity Council, Mount Wachusett Community College, LUK, Inc., The Community Reinvestment Act Coalition, the cities of Leominster, Fitchburg and Gardner and many local employers are major contributors to our efforts to provide unsubsidized summer youth employment opportunities.